1. My parents volunteered to come visit my parish for the first time!
2. I got to sing in the choir again!!
3. Instead of our robes today, we choir women dressed up and wore hats!
4. My friend Dulcinea also went, and I saw her taking pictures as we sang. She also wore a hat!
5. We actually sang “Gloria Festiva,” this time– and I rocked it!
6. I danced a bit during our songs. Why not?!
7. Listening to the organ, piano, bass guitar and drums, I could NOT stop smiling. Mass is just better with some real music. It’s traditional and yet contemporary.
8. My parish greets each new member by asking them to stand up and say hello and where they’re from. Diane said they were my parents and they came to see me– the person in the choir with the biggest hat! (I did!) That got a laugh from everyone and I felt so spoiled.
9. I followed along with all the songs better today– I’m getting the hang of it!
10. After Mass, I took my first picture with some of the other choir ladies. They were all wearing bright, wonderful suits and hats that defy gravity and reek of style.
— Addendum: As we left, each woman was given a special gift. Along with the Mass bulletins, there were bookmarks in a stack for the taking. They are purple and rectangular. On the front it says, “10 Reasons I’m a Woman of God,” and on the back, it lists them. I love that our parish is small enough that we get these little extra gifts. Each woman was also handed a carnation upon leaving.